Building Regulations

If you are considering carrying out building work to your property then we may arrange on your behalf to apply to the Local Authority for Building Regulations Approval.

For most types of building work, extensions, alterations, conversions and drainage works, you will be required to submit a Building Regulations Application prior to commencing any work.

Certain types of extensions and small detached buildings are exempt from Building Regulations control.

Exempt Buildings

The following small detached buildings and extensions are exempt from control.

Small Detached Buildings

  • A detached single storey building, having a floor area which does not exceed 30m2, which contains no sleeping accommodation and is a building-
    • No point of which is less than one metre from the boundary of its curtilage; or
    • Which is constructed substantially of non-combustible material.
  • A detached building designed and intended to shelter people from the effects of nuclear, chemical or conventional weapons, and not used for any other purposes, if-
    • Its floor area does not exceed 30m2; and
    • The excavation for the building is no closer to any exposed part of another building or structure than a distance equal to the depth of the excavation plus one metre.
  • A detached building, having a floor area which does not exceed 15m2, which contains no sleeping accommodation.


  • The extension of a building by addition at ground level of-
    • A conservatory*, porch, covered yard or covered way; or
    • A carport open on at least two sides;
  • Where the floor area of that extension does not exceed 30m2, provided that in the case of a conservatory or porch which is wholly or partly glazed, the glazing satisfies the requirements of the Building Regulations for safety glazing.


All measurements are taken internally.

*A conservatory has to be separated from the rest of the house to be exempt (i.e. patio doors).

If you are in any doubt about whether you need to apply for permission, you should contact your Local Authority Building Control Department before commencing any work to your property.

You may also require Planning Permission.

Local Authority Charges

When submitting a Building Regulations Application you will be required to pay a fee to the Local Authority. This is often called a ‘plan’ fee. In most cases you will also be required to either pay a fee when the work is commenced or you will be invoiced after completion of the last formal visit by the building inspector. Please note that many Authorities vary and we would obtain advice for their chosen method. These fees are dependent on the type of work that you intend to carry out. Work to provide access and/or facilities for disabled people to existing dwellings are exempt from these fees.

Please see below a link to the Building Regulations Approval Documents that we must comply with when designing your proposal.

Please also see below a link to some local authority websites detailing their current fees:


Central Beds:


Milton Keynes:

Domestic Work:

All other work: